October 30, 2012

Breakfast Cupcakes

I have been trying to be more intentional about our breakfast variety. Too often we fall back on toast and cereal. Not that there is anything wrong with toast or cereal, but there are so many other options.

When the kids were in school, it was much easier (and practical) to have a quick bowl of cereal/toast/oatmeal before they had to be out the door. Now that we homeschool and have a bit more time in the mornings, I have no excuse for not putting more effort into breakfast. Actually I could probably think of a few excuses but again, trying to change things up some.

Yesterday morning I took the time to make Breakfast Cupcakes. They are a basic flour and egg mix, baked in a muffin tin. The 'cupcakes' poof right up with a little hollow spot in the center. The appearance reminds me of Yorkshire Pudding. The taste is a combination of french toast and pancakes; as if they bumped together in a pan and got all mixed up.

Preheat oven to 425
I use the convection feature on my oven but you don't have to use convection.
A regular oven at the same temperature works as well.

Ingredients:

  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • ¼ tsp salt


That's it
Mix it all up in a bowl. Don't over-mix.
You want it to be a little lumpy.

Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
Spoon the mix into each muffin cup so each cup is about half full.

My tin has regular size cups - not the little ones, nor the over sized cups.


I get about 12 cupcakes from this mixture. Half the recipe would be about right for two or three people. You might get up to 16 cupcakes if you use a little less in each cup or if your cups are smaller. Most people can eat two or so.

Once the oven is ready at 425, bake for about 18 - 25 minutes.
I bake mine for 22 minutes with the convection oven.
There were 12 cups about half full or a little more.

They are ready when they poof up and are a golden brown. They can be served right away. They collapse a little out of the oven.

Drizzle with syrup like pancakes. Try icing sugar and strawberry jam. Or, open them up (they hollow out a bit as they rise) and fill them with fresh fruit and whipped topping.

I have never tried freezing these until today, so right now I can't tell you how they would hold up. I think they would be fine in a toaster oven but I'm not sure. I'll come back with an update once we've tried them another day.

I'd love to hear what you think.
Try them out and then come back and let me know if you liked them.
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...